Where the Money Are

Oh boy oh boy! Many movie watchers are becoming kids again this weekend with the release of Where the Wild Things Are. It's not a furry movie, like some will have you believe. More on that in a second.



I extended the KIDS Fund winning streak to one more right. Toy Story Double Feature in 3D did not do that well, and has continued to do okay. It was a slight short, but with only one week left, it's at $25M. I expect a decent drop, even though it's only losing 7 theaters. It's kinda of a wash at the moment unless something unexpected happens. Oh well, got it right even though it didn't mean that much money.


Big one here: Where the Wild Things Are. It's opening in over 3700 theaters and has a ton of appeal since the book has been making the rounds through schools since 1963. Strange that a book with only 10 sentences in it can make a feature film... Anyhoo, analysis does not wait for pondering.. or something. There is a little competition for money this weekend: Toy Story 3D and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs are still making some money and might dent WTWTA. I expect an opening of around $42M total - $16 - $18M on Friday, same for Saturday, and $8 to $10 on Sunday (that's us holding it long, if you have not check the price recently). It will also have pretty good legs if it does not turn out to be a stinker, but even Rotten Tomatoes *shudder* gives it 67% fresh. The negative comments are along the lines of "Didn't you read the book?" or "I didn't like it because I love indie films, even though I've never given one a good review and this one wasn't indie but it should have been" so you know it's going to be a little hit or miss with fans. I'll wait to see it myself.


Next week we are in for some fun. Opening are Astro Boy, Vampire's Assistant, and Nightmare Before Christmas in 3D. I'm not sure how I feel about that last one, but Astro Boy sure looks good. My my, it's a great time to be a kid's movie fan.


I'll try not to wander so much next time. Thanks, as always, for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts