Hurray for Fake Brit Accents

I'm going right into this one. New trailer for Prince of Persia came out and while I expected the worst, I couldn't anticipate what I heard. Fake. British. Accent. Seriously? Who thinks this is a good idea? I can understand that in order to have continuity you may need an actor to go with an unnatural accent, but I clearly heard American accents in there as well. Jake Gyllenhaal is not suave, and definitely not princely.

Speaking of fake accents, A Christmas Carol, starring great British actors and Jim Carrey, opens this weekend. The reason for the accent makes sense here, but the casting is the bigger problem. Why not Piccard??! Anyhoo, I think the best comparison can be drawn the The Polar Express. PE opened with a 5 day total to just over $30M. I think there's even less interest in this often made story. Call me crazy, but just because it's in 3D doesn't mean it's a big draw. I'm thinking it does around $32M - 11 Friday, 13 Saturday, and 8 Sunday. That means a big short. Speaking strageries, I wouldn't hold Carol too much after post adjust. Let it get in the drop until Wednesday, then switch it to long. The Polar Express ended up with $96M after 4 weeks and $162M total.

Speaking of failures, we got Where the Wild Things Are wrong. There's not much else to say about it, other than that it just kept dropping. Ugh. And it was so much fun.

I did not play any of the other movies that opened last time. I was getting married and just didn't have time to trade. I offer no apologies!

Coming up: 2012, Planet 51, and... *shudder* Twilight 2. More on those later.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm predicting even less for Carol, so yeah we're on the same thinking process.

Popular Posts