Eat My SHORTs

Sorry, I've been watching way to much Simpsons lately. Whatever.

Hey, is that young Henry to the left there from Time Traveler's Wife? No? Good for him.

Let's recap what happened to us since we last met: We shorted GI Joe and did not play Ponyo or Bandslam.



GI Joe first. GI Joe was held short with a prediction of about $40M opening. How wrong I was. It adjusted up H$20 and had an actual weekend of about $54M ($2M less than the adjust estimate). It's been doing surprisingly well, but so has our post adjust short. I've dropped most of the shares to play this weekend's opener.



Ponyo was a slight long, and Bandslam was a massive short. Not much surprise there. The big surprise was the chaos that happened at work and lasted well past halt time. I normally do updates on Friday morning, but after that I've switched to Thursday afternoons even though my predictions are before official "gut check" time. I do apologize, but we'll be consistent moving forward.



A new opener! Shorts is the latest from turbo-director Robert Rodriguez and his first movie since Grindhouse over two years ago. While I'm sure he's hoping to return to his children's movie successes, I doubt this will be a money maker. In 2005, Sharkboy and Lavagirl raked in a measly $12M in its opening weekend, and less than $40M overall. This movie is currently tracking in the mid-single digits with a break even currently a little under $12M, so we'll be going short on SHORT. We've already played this position, so I don't have to worry about missing deadlines tomorrow.



Coming up soon, we have 9 - based on a great animated short that was released several years ago - and we have Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Other than that, we are in a dry spell with all the halloween horror flicks flooding the market.



Thanks for reading and keep trading hard!

Comments

Popular Posts